24 January 2005

Larry Summers' comments on women in science

Larry Summers, the president of Harvard, recently made some comments about women in science at an academic conference. Allegedly, he said that women are discouraged from pursuing science because 1) they don't want to work 80 hour weeks and because 2) women are innately less inclined towards science and/or less able to do science. (Here I am using science as a generic term for math, physics, chemistry, biology, neuroscience, psychology, economics, etc.) There was supposedly a third reason, but it was not reported.

Since I am a woman scientist, I've decided to write my comments here. America is a nation of free speech and Larry Summers should have the right to voice his (unpopular) opinion especially in an academic venue that is closed from the public. If Summers had made the same speech in front of an audience that included adolescent girls, the critics would have a right to protest since these statements would have been damaging to a young girl's self-esteem. But that was not the case.

I don't completely agree with Summers' statements themselves (assuming they were accurately reported.) He seems to imply that genetics is more important a factor than social/environmental influences. In Asian culture, no one believes in talent, only in the value of hard work. Thus despite their minority status in America, Asians are very successful. I don't have any hard facts in front of me, but I think this is a fair statement. Everyone knows that talent has to be nourished for a person to realize his/her full potential. Behind every star pitcher is a legion of family, friends, and coaches. As for the 80 hour/week barrier, I agree that is a problem, but I don't know how significant it is compared to the genetic and social/environmental factors I just discussed.

It is unfortunate that no one has an actual transcript of the Summers speech. Harvard supposedly has a tape, but refuses to release it. Without knowing what Summers actually said, it's difficult to judge whether he was merely being academic or really being offensive.

1 comment:

  1. Why yes. Didn't I send you that article?

    In general, I believe in a balance of nature and nurture especially when it comes to intellectual activity. The human mind was probably not naturally engineered to do math and science.

    - qmechanic

    ReplyDelete