24 January 2012

Song of the day: "The National Pastime" by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman

I just watched the pilot episode of NBC's new TV show Smash. My favorite song is "The National Pastime", which alludes to the Marilyn-Joe DiMaggio relationship. It's a sly, double-entendre, throwback number -- which I love. You should watch it live with the beautiful choreography. It reminds me -- where have you gone Broadway dance? The last great dance routines I saw were on a revival of West Side Story.
MARILYN: (spoken) Fellas!
CHORUS: (spoken) Yeah?
MARILYN: (spoken) Fellas!
CHORUS: (spoken) Is it?
MARILYN: (spoken) Hey, team!
CHORUS: (spoken) Off the benches, it's Marilyn!

MARILYN:
I just got a date
CHORUS:
She's just got a date
MARILYN:
With baseball's Joltin' Joe
CHORUS:
That lucky so-and-so
MARILYN:
So run me 'round the bases,
Put me through my paces,
And teach me all the things a slugger's lover
Should know!

MARILYN:
What's that there?
CHORUS:
That's the pitcher's mound
MARILYN:
Have you ever seen a shape
That is so perfectly round
CHORUS:
Batter up
MARILYN:
Play ball
CHORUS:
You better give it your all
'Cause all men like to play at
MARILYN:
The national pastime.

MARILYN:
Who's that man?
CHORUS:
That's the first base coach
MARILYN:
Have you noticed that he signals
Every time I approach?
CHORUS:
Kill the ump
MARILYN:
Throw him out
CHORUS:
Because there isn't a doubt
That all men like to play at
MARILYN:
The national pastime.

MARILYN:
When I was just a little girl
I liked being dainty and purty
But now that I'm giving sports a whirl
I feel I kinda like to get dirty
CHORUS:
Yeah!

CHORUS:
Baby, what's that there?
MARILYN:
That's the team's bullpen
And I like the odds I'm seeing
No girls, all men
CHORUS:
Hit the deck, look alive,
Beware the lady's line drive
MARILYN:
Yes, my skill and my passion'll
Elevate the national --

(interlude)

MARILYN:
Peanuts!
Hot dogs!
Cracker jack!
I don't care, I don't care,
If I ever get back!

(interlude)

CHORUS:
When the season's over
The play won't end
MARILYN:
'Cause a baseball diamond is a girl's best friend...
CHORUS:
Yes, her style and her fashion'll
Elevate the national pastime!

No comments:

Post a Comment