01 March 2012

Song of the day: "A Light in the Dark" by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey

A sweet, moving ballad in the musical next to normal. I love Dan's ballads. In this song, Dan tries to convince Diana to side with him on a difficult decision.
DAN:
One light shines in the drive --
One single sign that our house is alive.
Our house, our own --
So why do I live there alone.

Tell me why I wait through the night,
And why do I leave on the light?
You know. I know.
Our house was a home long ago.

Take this chance,
'Cause it may be our last
To be free,
To let go of the past
And to try,
To be husband and wife
To let love never die --
Or to just live our life.
Take my hand,
And let me take your heart,
Keep it far
From what keeps us apart --
Let us start
With a light in the dark.

Night falls I stare at the walls.

(overlapping)

DIANA:
I stare at these walls...

DAN:
I wake and wander the halls.

DIANA:
I get lost in these halls...

DAN:
And I ache to the bone...

DIANA:
It's like nothing I've known<...br/>
BOTH:
I can't get through this alone.

DAN:
Take this chance
And we'll make a new start
Somewhere far
From what keeps us apart,
And I swear that somewhere in the night
There's a light...
A light in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment