27 February 2005

Song of the day: "All by myself" by Irving Berlin

The Ella Fitzgerald rendition of this song rocks! I'm particularly fond of music that twists from minor to major melody and music with unusual rhythm. This song possesses both qualities. I love how songs written in the 20s and 30s have prologues. Sometimes performers cut the prologues, but I prefer to leave them in.
I'm so unhappy
What'll I do?
I long for somebody who
Will sympathize with me
I'm growing so tired of living alone
I lie awake all night and cry
Nobody loves me
That's why

All by myself in the morning
All by myself in the night

I sit alone with a table and a chair
So unhappy there
Playing solitaire

All by myself I get lonely
Watching the clock on the shelf

I'd love to rest my weary head on somebody's shoulder
I hate to grow older
All by myself

No comments:

Post a Comment