23 March 2005

Encouraging community in graduate school

I've been in graduate school for almost two years now. Thus far I have found graduate school to be far more isolating than my undergraduate college. That is not to say that my current situation is horrible, but it could be better.

At my old undergraduate place, people certainly worked just as much but they just seemed friendlier. I find that the harder I work, the more I need a kind word of encouragement to keep it up. So I try to be open-minded and gregarious with everyone I meet. Unfortunately, most of my fellow graduate students act like typical real-world adults. They go to work in the office and they have their own social lives outside the university. It's sad but the only really cohesive groups are the graduate union, which heckles the administration for better grad student benefits, and the few dozen social people at my dorm.

The situation is even a little worse in my department. Many scientists are fiercely anti-social and when I try to talk to these individuals, the conversation seems forced and awkward. One solution is to recruit friendly people to the department, but that takes a lot of work and probably also a great location (e.g. Berkeley or Boston).

I suppose this state of affairs is probably typical in graduate schools. But isn't the model of a university supposed to be one that encourages community, collaboration, and common purpose? Here are some ideas to move towards that goal:

1) Build many (decent) graduate dorms so that students from different departments can mix.
2) Start a prestigious lecture series where famous people come to talk about interesting topics to a general audience.
3) Build a university where the buildings of the different departments are connected together so you have to walk through other departments to get to your own building.
4) Throw a party or happy hour for several closely related departments. For instance: physics, electrical engineering, and chemistry.
5) Put lots of money into graduate activities and clubs. Of course, this success of this effort depends on the self-motivation of the graduate students themselves.
6) Create a graduate student government council and give it a large amount of money, independence, and responsibility.
7) Encourage interaction between undergraduates and graduate students. In my experience, this interaction usually benefits everyone. It also creates a larger groups of students with similar interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment