26 March 2005

Physics rumor mills

I try not to think about the future too far in advance, but I have to admit it: physics graduate students are worried about getting jobs.

To see how desperate the situation is, check out the so-called physics rumor mill. For the United States, there are rumor mills regarding particle theory, nuclear theory, astrophysics, and condensed matter/atomic experiment.

I'm ambivalent about rumor mills. As long as you're not directly connected to the field, you do get a small vicarious thrill in reading them. But I can imagine that if I were one of the job candidates, I wouldn't appreciate having private information posted for everyone in the world to see.

I hear the job search is not fun for the faculty either. Check out Gordan Watt's blog entry on this subject.

When I have a chance, I'll try to write up what I've learned about job searches and different academic jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment