13 November 2005

Life hacks: Shorthand, VI, Remind, RCS

A few more ideas I got from reading links off 43 Folders.
  • Shorthand systems - I'm not sure I want to use these particular shorthand systems; since I'm a physicist, it might be best to create my own shorthand. It would also be easier to remember a system of my own devising.
  • VI, the famous UNIX editor - see for example, VIM. The advantage of VI over Emacs is that it's supposedly faster and uses fewer multiple key combinations. You also get VI to recognize abbreviations.
  • Remind, a simple text-based calendar system for UNIX - see an article about it here.
  • RCS, the revision control system - It's simple software for managing multiple versions of a file. My master's thesis advisor used it for editing drafts of publications. For more information, see this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment