07 April 2006

Time management

A very good point made in 43Folders.com is that you should "honor thy energy."

Time management isn't just about checking off a bunch of items on a to-do list. You want to do things at the optimal time. For example, I read the news for an hour in the morning. But really it might be better to save that for the evening when I'm tired. I could better use that morning time to do hard work. Same goes for down time. What do you do at night before bedtime? I used to play video games, but I think that's a bad idea since they're very stimulating.

Which leads to another question: how do you figure out when to play and when to work? If you goofed off all the time, you would lose your job. If you worked all the time, you would become a nasty grouch. It's hard to flip the switch from work to play and vice versa. There's a significant amount of energy needed to switch states (at least from play to work) and a time lag, too. [Now I make people sound like circuits.]

I'm trying to figure out how to efficiently work and play. I like RSS readers because I only subscribe to a certain number of feeds and I'm pretty good about only reading what's on my RSS reader. I would call that efficient playing. How about working? I find it hard to work all day long without a break. But then my breaks are too long. Well, I have worked all day (i.e. stayed put in my office), but then I feel so tired when I go home that I don't manage to get tedious, but important things done (e.g. cleaning my room, going through email).

I'm still working on it and when I get closer to an optimal situation, I'll write back.

No comments:

Post a Comment