07 August 2006

Link of the day: Eye contact

A man writes about how his life changes when he discovered the power of eye contact.

Eye contact is one of many aspects to embodying confidence.

I became a more confident person in my last two years at college. And I realized that like eye contact, if you look like you're serious and know what you're doing, then you make a lot more progress with people. Nowadays, I occasionally have to be careful not to make too much eye contact because I seem intimidating. That's good when you're dealing with a mean character or bargaining, but not necessarily then you're trying to establish a working relationship or mentor someone.

When I became more confident, I noticed myself behaving differently. I made eye contact. I spoke up in class, sometimes without raising my hand (if I thought I had something important to say.) I asked questions. I spoke crisly and precisely and stopped using words like "I guess" or "Can I." I took the initiative to do what I thought was right, without asking for permission.

I don't remember consciously deciding to do these things. I just tried them and they seemed to work. Just like the man who discovered the power of eye contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment