11 June 2008

Link of the day: Is Google making us stupid?

I came across this Atlantic Monthly article via Lifehacker called "Is Google making us stupid?" Unfortunately, the description sounds a lot like me. I wrote a bit about a similar topic in an old post called "ADD in geeks."

There is an interesting discussion about how technology can change the way we write. Nietzsche's prose style changed when he switched from writing long hand to using a typewriter. I notice that I can be very shy and restrained in face-to-face conversation, but in email, because I can type so fast and because the text seems virtual, I'll say all sorts of crazy things that I would never say out loud.

How do you stop "internet-thinking" from taking over your life? You should schedule unstructured time to explore places, build things, read books, take long vacations, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment