17 August 2008

Hockey photography? Never mind...

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about taking photos of my hockey team. I read some nice tips about shooting hockey from the San Jose Sharks photographer Don Smith (Sports Shooter article and Lexar digital photography article).

The problem is that people recommend a dSLR camera that can shoot at least 5 fps (frames per second) and also a f/2.8 70-200 mm lens. Hockey rinks (especially non-NHL rinks) are typically very dim so you need a lens that lets in a lot of light. The Canon EOS 40D (10.1 megapixels, 6.5 fps) costs $1000 new. The Canon f/2.8 70-200 mm lens costs $1200 new for the normal version and $1700 new for the IS (image stabilizer) version.

Damn, I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford a $3000 extravagance like that. Ten years from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment