22 February 2009

Song of the day: "Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered" by Rodgers and Hart

Supposedly one of the most famous songs by the songwriting team Rodgers and Hart. It's a very touching song with a beautiful melody. "Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered" was used as the title for a very funny Season 2 episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But that's not why I looked up this song! I happened to be flipping through a Playbill and read a short article about Pal Joey.

From the musical Pal Joey
Music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Lorenz Hart
After one whole quart of brandy
Like a daisy I awake
With no Bromo Seltzer handy,
I don't even shake.

Men are not a new sensation;
I've done pretty well, I think.
But this half-pint imitation
Put me on the blink

I'm wild again
Beguiled again
A simpering, whimpering child again
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I

Couldn't sleep
And wouldn't sleep
Until I could sleep where I shouldn't sleep
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I

Lost my heart but what of it?
My mistake I agree.
He's a laugh, but I like it
Because the laugh's on me.

A pill he is
But still he is
All mine and I'll keep him until he is
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered
Like me.

Seen a lot
I mean I lot
But now I'm like sweet seventeen a lot
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I

I'll sing to him
Each spring to him
And worship the trousers that cling to him
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I

When he talks he is seeking
Words to get off his chest.
Horizontally speaking
He's at his very best.

Vexed again
Perplexed again
Thank God I can't be over-sexed again
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I

No comments:

Post a Comment