05 February 2006

Grad student life: Recreation

Following up on my friend Jack's recent post, I've been thinking about how to get the most productivity and enjoyment out of grad student life.

In the past, my problem has not been working but taking a break from work. As an undergrad, I worked almost every spare moment I had because I loved what I was doing, because the people around me were so enthusiastic and driven, and because well, I didn't know any better.

Now that physics is no longer the shiny new subject on the block and that grad students are mostly jaded, grouchy creatures compared to undergrads, I find it trickier to keep myself happy.

Here are some reliably fun activities:
  • Going to the gym
  • Ice skating
  • Playing ice hockey
  • Watching ice hockey
  • Reading about ice hockey
  • Reading the news
  • Playing video games
  • Reading about video games
  • Reading about new technology
  • Watching Battlestar Galactica
  • Taking the bus or train out of town
  • Planning wild ideas
  • Writing in my blog
  • Tinkering with my computer
  • Window shopping
  • Singing along to music

I just got a new basketball and I hope to try it out in the gym soon; I played on the basketball team in high school. I also enjoy reading books and watching movies, but it's hard to pick something good with consistency. I tend to do those things more when I go on vacation. Concerts are also kind of hit-or-miss for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment