04 February 2006

Pets in the office?

I was thinking that I might enjoy going to my office more if I had something to take care of. A swimming fish would be too distracting (and who will feed it during winter break?) An electronic pet would be too portable (I want to have an incentive to come into the office everyday). My sister often talked about how she would wake up in a panic and run to her lab to take care of her yeast. I asked her about whether I could grow them in my office. Her reply:
Ummm, no. You need a shaker with a constant temperature regulator at round 28 to 32 deg. And you need to prepare all the nutrient solutions, which requires a lab, lots of chemicals, and instruments like pipettes and pH meters. And you need to introduce the yeast culture under sterile conditions, so for that, you need a sterile lab bank (operates under negative air pressure so that the bacteria can't get in). You also need an autoclave to heat the media to 120 deg for about 20 minutes to sterilize the media. You also need a centrifuge to harvest the yeast.

Maybe I'll get a plant! Or I could get a Robosapien!

No comments:

Post a Comment