I took some notes on the main points.
Rules about meetings
- Unless there is a compelling reason, meetings should not last more than one hour.
- Always send an agenda to everyone ahead of time. Never start a meeting without an agenda.
- No multitasking during meetings; really pay attention.
- Write a polite email to the organizer if you aren't going to go.
- The most important meetings are where a decision is made. PREPARE for these meetings.
- Schedule a meeting against a hard deadline like the end of the workday (I need to go home and eat dinner) or the beginning of a seminar
- The chair of the meeting should make sure that all the items of the agenda are addressed briskly
- The chair should start the meeting by calilng on people
- When the conversation starts to repeat or become unproductive, the chair should summarize the main points of the discussion and then end with "is there anything else?
- If someone tries to repeat something, the chair should say "Oh, we already covered this, moving on ..."
- Eventually, people will get the idea that the meeting needs to move along