25 May 2007

Link of the day: "What I Wish I Knew When I Was 20"

Tina Seelig, Executive Director for the Stanford Technology Ventures Program, gave a nice graduation-type talk called "What I Wish I Knew When I was 20." It seems like a collection of practical, well-thought out advice. Here's her list of top 10 things that a 20-year old ought to know:
  • Every problem is an opportunity for a creative solution
  • The harder I work, the luckier I get (work prepares you for opportunities)
  • Find the intersection between your passion, skills, and the market (as opposed to the tired old adage "Follow your passion")
  • Try lots of things and keep what works (try writing a "failure" resume)
  • Don't wait to be anointed. Just do it!
  • It is a very small world... don't burn bridges (you keep running into the same people, so don't make them hate you)
  • You can do it all, just not at the same time (examine your priorities over a long time scale)
  • It is the little things that matter most (e.g. thank you notes)
  • It really is about the team (making other people successful makes you even more successful)
  • Never miss an opportunity to be fabulous.
Her talk is available in several formats: mp3, slides in pdf, and steaming Windows Media video file.

No comments:

Post a Comment