09 November 2007

Some new productivity things I'm trying

First, I'm going back to an old-fashioned idea: time cards. I use grid-lined index cards (available from Levenger). I write down the times of day in 15-minute blocks, going from 12 midnight to 11:45 am on one side and 12 noon to 11:45 pm on the other side. At the end of each day, I recorded the number of hours spent on various activities such as sleeping, hygiene, meals, research, teaching, homework, classroom, sports, exercise, administration, errands, news reading, internet surfing, etc. I'm hoping this will help me be more efficient.

Second, I have a bad habit of checking email whenever I'm bored, so now I'm limiting myself to checking my work account twice a day and my non-work account and Facebook once a day. Of course, there will be exceptions if I'm expecting something. I sent up a reminder for myself in Yahoo Calendar telling me when I can check my email. The reminder goes to my Yahoo email account which is not publicly available and only serves as an organization hub for todo items.

I'll report back on if any of these schemes work.

No comments:

Post a Comment