05 April 2006

ADD in geeks

Here's an article about health problems in the geek population that I found via Lifehacker.com.

I like the part about ADD. I do feel like ever since I've started using computers a lot that I have a hard time listening. It's hard for me to follow audio arguments and sometimes I assume the speaker said something completely different from what he/she actually said. I'm good at visual information processing since I've been reading since I was 6 years old. Using computers reinforces this. In fact, I'd rather read the New York Times online than listen to the 6 o'clock news. TV/radio news is "too slow."

But as the author of the article says, it should be possible to train yourself to listen. Maybe I should practice listening to audio books or NPR broadcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment